The MARC program began in Fall 2020. Therefore, no students have yet completed the program. MARC replaces ODST’s former program Initiative for Maximizing Student Development (IMSD) which also provided support to undergraduate students at KU in biomedically relevant fields. Below is a list of students that recently graduated from that program. The accomplishments of our MARC scholars are also included.
- IMSD scholar Marilyn Barragan was admitted into PhD programs at New York University and Northwestern University.
- IMSD graduate Ricardo Gonzalez will join the PhD program in the Department of Pharmacy, Division of Pharmacotherapy and Experimental Therapeutics at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill in the fall of 2018.
- IMSD graduate Katie Morales will join the PhD program in the Department of Biomedical Sciences at the Mayo Clinic, Florida Campus in the fall of 2018.
- IMSD scholar Arielle Swopes will join the PhD program of the Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology, University of Kansas in the fall of 2018.
- IMSD scholar Kayla Wilson was admitted at Yale University and Cornell University. She has chosen to join the PhD program in Genetics, Genomics & Development at Cornell University.
Awards and Recognition
- MARC Scholar Kade Townsend was awarded a 2022 National Astronaut Scholarship.
- MARC Scholars Bryce Gaskins and Kade Townsend received 2 out of 450 nationally awarded Barry M. Goldwater Scholarships!
- MARC Scholars Kade Townsend and Bryce Gaskins were nominated by the Office of Fellowships in Academic Success to compete for the 2022 Barry M. Goldwater Scholarships.
- MARC scholar Kade Townsend was awarded the summer/fall 2021 University of Kansas Courtwright Award for Undergraduate Research Excellence.
- MARC scholar Kade Townsend received an award for outstanding research presented at the 2021 SACNAS National Diversity in STEM (NDiSTEM) Digital Conference.
- IMSD scholars Alejandra Carrillo, Emily Casteen and Brianna Marsh received the 2018 University of Kansas Research Award.
- IMSD scholar Brianna Marsh was nominated by the KU Office of Fellowships as a 2018 Astronaut Scholarship Foundation Scholar. Winners will be announced later this year.
- IMSD scholar Sofia de la O received a poster presentation award at the 2018 University of Kansas Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- IMSD scholar Alix Fisk was named the 2018 Newman Civic Fellow at the University of Kansas.
- Two IMSD scholars, Alix Fisk and Emily Casteen, were selected to present at the 2018 Kansas Undergraduate Research Day at the Capitol in Topeka, Kansas.
- Former IMSD scholar Julia Yang was recently awarded a 2018 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship.